Saturday, March 31, 2007

Le Carillon du Mont des Arts

I mentioned yesterday that some explanations will follow. You see the man and the bell in the right corner of the photo? That was my photo of yesterday. I also photographed a detail of the clock last year.

However, I always ignored this bronze map under the arcade. What you see is the Carillon du Mont des Arts. Which if I understand corretly means the 'figurine clock of the arts hill'.

Why the figurine clock? Well as you can see, the clock has 12 figurines which dance every hour, on the hour. And 24 bells which represent different regions of Belgium. Why the arts hill? Because the region around the clock is known as the Mont des Arts, where you can find most of Brussels museums, congress and exhibiton places, and the royal library.

No comments: